Sunday, March 20, 2011

Change of Body Part

Enough of the thumb pics - it's still kinda gross, swollen, still a bit of oozing & a bit warmish. I only have one more dose of the Clindamycin so I will be giving Dr. D a call first thing tomorrow morning to see if there should be another course of antibiotics. I'm not sure if it just needs more healing time or if the infection has not entirely cleared up. I'm just a Dr. Mom but my experience is leaning me towards the latter.

I have been knitting a bit, mostly worsted weight. Yesterday I started back into the sock for Elise in between swatching for Rowan Marsha (Ravelry link) out of Rowan Kid Classic in Pinched (a discontinued pink) which is close to Lipstick. I'm still not knitting nearly as much as I would like to be nor enjoying it as much as I should be. I need to pay too much attention to not poking the sen
sitive spots on my thumb and then there is the shooting pain that is completely unpredictable.

Monday will be my last treatment!!! After 32 of 33 radiation treatments I am totally dark, the skin that had been raw & sore has dried - though it's still sensitive and itchy. It's healing nicely though.

6 comments:

  1. mojo for all the body parts to heal up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear, Dear Wannietta, You really are an inspiration, extremely talented, brave and smart too!
    I once heard about a talk that was given to a 'cancer' crowd; one of the opening remarks was addressing the misconception that 'radiation isn't too bad; it doesn't do much to you'. Apparently, a not so hushed murmur went through the room. I admire you for showing us just what radiation can do and for sharing how it feels. I toast you in celebration of your final treatment! I encourage you to be gentle with yourself; the road back just seems to take a lot longer than the road that got you to where you are now.
    Trust your instincts Dr. Mom. I'm a Nurse Dr. Mom and I agree, it sounds like another dose of the Rx is in order. Your immune system still needs help after all that it's been through. I may not leave a comment everytime, but I'm checking in on you every chance I get. Keep strong!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Radiation is definitely less obvious and intense in its side effects but I think that because of that it's all too easy to overlook them. It took about 5 weeks to start feeling tired (and it was hard to know if it was the radiation, staph infection or my crazy life) but by 6 weeks it was dropping harder on me. I'm definitely going to try to take it easy(ish) before I have to go back to work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous8:20 PM

    Maybe there is something prophetic about the fact that you are finishing the radiation just as Spring officially begins. I think Spring is a time of new beginnings (for me - more so than New Year's) and I hope it brings great things your way! Wanda

    ReplyDelete
  5. You want to really kick that infection in the butt hard! Get more drugs. Get bigger drugs. Maybe there was more than one bug in there and the little one is still gong strong. Do not let the doctor slope off without taking care of you.

    Keep up with the saline soaks. And take lots of naps. Naps are powerfully proactive wellness procedures.

    You realize that some people intentionally try to get that tan? Idiots!

    You have a pretty boob.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm looking forward to Spring '11 being the harbinger of several new beginnings!!!

    Thanks Roxie - I've been a fan of the tan but this goes beyond my regular goals! LOL

    ReplyDelete